Family of Four

There's no way we are already knee-deep in June!  Really?  You sure?  'Cuz I just had this adorable little baby, like, last week.  That's what it feels like, anyway.  Not post-surgery-wise — I'm feeling fantastic — but the idea that little Hallie is already one month old???  It kills me.

I'm already mourning the fact that she's growing up, and she's not even out of newborn clothes yet.  Ridiculous, but real.  Gimme all the sleepless nights, I'll keep this yummy newborn stage for as long as I can.  We love her to bits.

Trying to capture the sweet baby freshness, we had the amazing Sam George come over and shoot a few pictures for us.  I think our giddy adoration was well captured.  But it's when I look at this picture that I feel the need to pinch myself.

Guys.  The Buckmasters are a family of four!


I'm living the dream.  Partly because I'm living with no sleep, so I'm sleep-walking most of the day, but like I said— WORTH.  IT.  The only thing better than loving on my new daughter is watching my husband and firstborn dote on her.  Nothing better.  I mean, I just, I can't even talk about it.

For one thing, I love Roy even more.  I remember feeling that way when Camden was born, too.  After the pregnancy hormones wear off and I'm not so scary {sorry babe!} I fall in love with this man all over again watching how tender and loving he is with our sweet girl.



Coming home from the hospital, Camden took over the big bro responsibilities quite flawlessly.  He's always been good with younger kids, but for him this gave a whole new meaning to the word "young" and I wasn't sure how he would handle having her encroach on his only child status.

But if she cried or whimpered he would run for a pacifier {we had to learn that we don't shove the pacifier down her throat} and pat her on the head while whispering "shhhh!!!".  {Also had to learn how to gently pat on the head!!}  All in all, good intentions.  He has watched many of his little friends take care of/protect their little sisters, and he's proud to do the same.

The other day I walked out of the bathroom when I heard her crying, and Camden was already there rocking her cradle and singing "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star".  I melted into a puddle.

Hallie is a lucky girl to have these dudes in her life.


Recovering from the surgery has been great.  Much, much better than the first time, since I didn't have both surgery and labor to recover from.  And my mom stayed with us for two wonderful weeks and took great care of all of us.  We love her so!



Hallie is some kind of super baby.  At ten days old I put her on her stomach and she promptly rolled onto her back.  No one else was around, and I was thinking, That must have been a fluke.  I put her back on her stomach, and thirty seconds later she rolled over again.  I was sure no one would believe me.  So the next day I showed my mom.  She did it again!  And she does it all the time!

At her checkup I asked the doctor if she was superhuman.  Basically he said yes, but that it isn't totally unheard of for babies to roll over this young.  So we are expecting her to stand up and walk any day now.  {I actually had a dream that she did - haha!}

She also began social smiling really early—3 weeks!  Her first smile was for her daddy, who was talking to her at the time.  Roy must be the newborn whisperer because Cam gave him his first smile, too.

Now if Hallie is in the right mood she will smile her head off for ten minutes at a time.  And we are always in the mood for her twinkle-eyed smiles.


The first day Roy left for work after Mom had gone I was a little nervous.  Although I've certainly been responsible for multiple children before, throwing in a newborn is a whole different game.  For some reason the idea that she would cry while we're in public and out of my comfort zone is mortifying to me.

But since I'm grudgingly admitting that it's been four weeks, I do feel like in that time we've been getting the hang of this.  I've managed to take both kids to the park a few times, the grocery store, and even made it through three hours of church last Sunday.  And no one ended up in the ER from negligence nor excessive crying.  Go me!


 That being said, I'm not in a hurry to "bounce back."  I'm enjoying this precious, fleeting time with my kids.  {Plural!  So crazy!}  We aren't bouncing anywhere anytime soon, we are just going to nestle down and take it slow.  Play board games with one while feeding the other, then all snuggling for a movie.  Okay, who are we kidding, it's Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.  Always.  Point is, we are loving this.

So much.



No comments:

Post a Comment