Balancing Two

Hallie was two days old when word of her beauty spread throughout the hospital, and she soon booked her first  photoshoot.  :-)

Well, okay, what happened is a nurse who also happened to own a photography studio was looking for an extra cute baby girl model for a class about newborn shoots that she was hosting for a group of photographers.  Free pictures?  Yes, please!  So when Hallie was eight days old we showed up and baby girl gave them a perfect two hours of modeling.  


^^^ I really love this candid picture.  Mostly because I love how Grammy can't help but take her own pictures unobtrusively in the background, barely suppressing a smitten kind of grin.

Hallie is already a posing pro!


These days I'm trying to find that magical balance in mothering two.  My mama friends have made it seem almost effortless, but I admit I'm struggling.

Part of me wants to spend each and every day in newborn mode.  In our pajamas, feeling her little gusts of milky breath on my skin as we snuggle, just hunkering down in the house together and pretending the rest of the world has stopped moving beyond our bedroom door.


BUT another very insistent part of me wants to get out and play with my sweet toddler!  It's summer time, after all.  We need to be going to splash pads and eating popsicles and riding bikes and exploring the outdoors.

Sometimes we improvise and bring the summer fun indoors.


But we have been getting out a little bit.  And at times like these you'll see me walking around with this big stupid smile on my face cuz... there's TWO of them!  And it's amazing how my heart can beat outside of my chest in two different places, with two different little people.


But when Daddy's around Camden kicks us girls to the curb - haha!  He's always been such a daddy's dude.  Roy is his very best friend, he wants to do everything with him.  And he wants to grow up to be just exactly like his dad, too, which I'm perfectly happy with.


Of course there was a time when I felt a bit left out--when Camden only wanted daddy to read him stories, daddy to tuck him in, and daddy to take him on a bike ride.  Like, what the heck?

But now I wave happily as they leave on their manly adventures and I snuggle my baby girl a little closer.  Someday she will probably want daddy to read her stories, tuck her in, and take her on bike rides, because--I have to admit--he's really fun.  But I'm enjoying the now, when she only has eyes for her mama.


I had to post pictures from when my grandma and aunt came to visit and meet Hallie.   My mom was still up here at the time, and I got to go shopping with all of them.  It made me think of when we all traipsed across England and Scotland together--they are too much fun.  (Missed one of my aunts, tho!)




My favorite pic of the day right here: Hallie Lois with her great grandma Lois.  I love and admire my grandma, and feel so blessed my daughter gets to have her in her life as well.  


When Grandma and Debbie left for Tucson they took Mom with them.  We sure do miss her living with us!  Come back!!


In the meantime we'll keep trying to figure out this balance.  Camden is on the case.


No comments:

Post a Comment