Baby It's Christmas

Anyone else in a post-Christmas coma?

Our Christmas Day was full to the brim with family love and traveling and newborn snuggles and gift exchanges and birthday candles and gender reveals.  I've never felt such a potent combination of wanting to cry from joy and collapse from exhaustion.

And even though I was barely able to open my eyes today, I'm in full holiday mourning.  A whole 365 days until Christmas?  No, I'm in tinsel-covered denial.  Grammy, Camden, and I sang carols all the way home from the decked-out mall tonight while watching for blow-up Santas and snowmen.  We will be stretching Christmas out into next weekend.

 I'm writing with one hand while the other strokes the silky hair of my sweet newborn nephew, who is blinking up at the white lights of the tree.  Babies are awesome.  I am so in love with this boy already.

Loving on this little guy is making me all the more excited for our own new addition.  So let's derail from the holiday hubbub to talk about the very beginnings of our little girl's story.  (Still can't believe she's a girl!!)

It was September and I bought the pregnancy test against my better judgement.  They had proven to be nothing but heartbreaking negatives every time, and I knew it was going to be the same.  We'd learned that being a few days late means very little for us.

So my friend Madelyn was over in the afternoon, and our boys were running around in the backyard.  I waited until Madelyn was distracted and went out after them when I grabbed the test and stole to the bathroom to get my negative.  You know, just to stop thinking about it and have that final and undeniable NO once again.  Rarely did I tell Roy when I was testing or if I ever had hopes because I saw no point in dragging him down.  Infertility hurt him just as much as it hurt me.

These things were running through my head when I did a double take at the test.  
Two lines.  
TWO LINES!  
TWO LINES!!!!  


My heart got caught up in this whirlwind of euphoria and I felt like I was floating up after it, ready to burst I was so filled with pure joy.  I thought I'd never come down.

At some point I remembered Madelyn was out there with all three kids and thought I better go out and help.  But I didn't want to say anything to anyone before I talked to Roy.  After giving myself a minute to compose myself, trying to suppress the unsurpressable smile, I came skipping down the hallway.  Like, literally skipping. 
Oops.

The minute I locked eyes with Madelyn that smile just exploded right out and I screamed, 
"I'M PREGNANT!!!!!!!!"  
Oops.

She screamed, I screamed, we wrapped our arms around each other and jumped up and down and screamed, laughing with a little bit of crying.  For an hour we were broken records, "I can't believe it!  Pregnant!"  And together we tried to come up with a cute way I could share the happy news with Roy.

That night when Roy got home I was standing at the front door with my phone on record.  I asked him to hold out his hand, and in his open palm I placed a poppyseed.  

"What's this?"

"That's the size of your baby right now!"

Roy lit up like never before.  All the celebrating was caught on video, but I neglected to take a picture.  It was such a special and unbelievable moment for us.  Even though I thought we should wait to tell Camden, Roy simply couldn't hold it in.  And considering my own initial reaction with Madelyn, I really couldn't blame him.

Camden immediately and cooly informed us that it would be a little sister.

When it was time to share the news with our families we decided to have Camden help.


(Every Pirate Needs a First Mate!  Mine Arrives 5/2016)

Roy's mom read the shirt aloud over FaceTime, which was really fun hearing everyone's reactions at once.  My own parents didn't notice the shirt for a painfully long time, but when they finally did there was much rejoicing.  Leah guessed what was up before she noticed the shirt, and proceeded to wish twins upon me.  All the while Camden seemed more and more unsure about what was really going on, but we knew we had plenty of time to better prepare him.

It was nigh impossible to wait for week 13 to tell all of our friends.  But when we did, the outpouring of love was overwhelming.  We have such an amazing and supportive tribe.


This pregnancy has been quite different from Camden's.  I started out pretty dependent upon Ginger Ale, but then moved on to only the occasional migraine.  The weight has been piling on differently, and I felt the baby start moving much earlier and much much more frequently.

And then there was the gender reveal!  Buuuut that's a story for another night.  The post-Christmas coma is strong.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good ... 
zzzzzzz... zzzzzzz... zzzz...

No comments:

Post a Comment