Hitting 100

It was my birthday on Monday, and I turned 27 years old.  As Lynn informed me, I'm officially in my "late twenties"!  {Cue dramatic music and shrieking.}

People hate getting older.  I mean, it's exciting when you're turning eight or thirteen or sixteen or twenty-one, but after that it's just a reminder of your mortality.  No one really thinks anything between 22 and 99 is any good until you reach the big ONE HUNDRED!


This is my granny--my mom's mom's mom.  She reached one hundred years a few months ago, and there was a big party.  BIG!  Like, cookies of her face, kind of big!  {Someone please do that for me if I make it to 100!}

One hundred earns you some serious street cred.  You've seen a few things, and you probably know all of the secrets of the universe, but most importantly, you've created a legacy.  There were a lot of people there--and the crazy thing is they were all her people.  She boasts four children,  16 grandchildren, 40 great grandchildren, and 32 great great grandchildren!!!!


That's a lot of people to keep track of, so I don't blame her for asking who I "belong" to every time we meet.  But I feel like I know her really well, after interviewing her a few years ago.  Roy and I asked her questions about her life and video recorded her stories.  She likes to say she was born in the era of the horse and buggy, and lived to see a man land on the moon. {And even that was like 46 years ago so… yeah, she's legit.}

I wish I knew each one of my ancestors this well; I owe them so much.






Five generations of awesome.




So turning 27 doesn't seem so old, I guess.  But getting older doesn't seem so scary, not when you've got an army of family behind you.  My tiny, budding army made sure my birthday was great.

Roy secretly invited some people over for cake and ice cream.  He knows how much I love surprises, so I got two, two years in a row!  Blindsided both times!  Amid all of the celebrating he realized we didn't have any candles, so he used toothpicks instead--28 of them, for good measure.  Man, I love funny disaster fixes like that.  Then the night of my birthday our awesome friends watched Camden so we could go to dinner and a movie.  It was a great couple of days!


When I turn 100, I hope I've scratched a few things off of my bucket list.  I hope I've gone on a hot air balloon ride, and I hope I've climbed Machu Picchu.  I hope I've written a book, and I hope I've finally learned how to cook a few good meals.  But more than anything, really the only thing I need, is to be surrounded by people I love.  

No comments:

Post a Comment