Cousins For Days

Welcome to the world, Lucas and Zooey!  

This summer my sister-in-law and her husband have found themselves blessed with three kids under the age of two.  You read that correctly: three under two!  Of course, we couldn't be more excited, we are all about the cousins!  I hope they keep coming two at a time, that would just be loads of fun!

But, admittedly, loads of work for the mama.  Camden and I headed up to Utah for a couple of weeks to see if we could help out with the transition.  Aaaand also because I had an unquenchable desire to overdose on newborn snuggles.

Oh those babies are sweet; it was love at first sight.  Being an aunt is incredible.  While the little ones did a lot of sleeping and eating and burping, Danny was ready for some adventures.  Leah and I took turns on toddler duty and baby duty, always outnumbered, but always having a good time.

Our adventures included the Zoo {with animatronic dinosaurs, I must add}, the Museum of Natural Curiosity, playing at the Tietjen's house, Wheeler Farms, splash pads, swimming pools, parks with duck ponds, and train rides up to Salt Lake City.  All six of us got out of the house for some fun almost every single day.

Unfortunately… my phone pictures were accidentally deleted the other day. :-(  So you'll have to take my word for it.

I did document cookie-making.  Leah made probably six batches of oatmeal peanut butter cookies while we were there.  And I probably ate half of each batch.  So.  Good.

Usually I'm not on team daylight savings, but there was a major perk this summer.  When Camden was waking up at 5:30am our time, it was 6:30 in Utah.  Somehow it made me feel better.  Early mornings consisted of shooting hoops in pajamas, eating "crunchy crunchy cereal," as Cam started calling it, and baby loves.

By nine we were usually out of the house.  
At Wheeler Farms Cam wanted to wear his favorite hat.  Danny thought it was funny, and Cam was all like, "I don't care, I'm a cool kid."

Still a cool kid...

Way, way too cool to smile.  {Meanwhile Danny has a smile that could melt your heart.}

Don't be fooled by the cool face, Camden was thrilled with the farm experience.  I had to learn how to simultaneously make sure a goat didn't bite Cam's fingers and Danny Jay didn't run into the river.  Otherwise Leah was going to have to ditch her stroller full of babies to rescue her little sprinter.  That may or may not have actually transpired.

Riding the train to Salt Lake City was a huge treat for these boys.  Every time the train paused to let passengers on/off, both boys simultaneously objected.  They never wanted the ride to end.

Side story: With only an hour left in our long trip up to Murray, Camden suddenly shouted, "Temple!"  Sure enough, there was a tall, white, beautiful temple that we could see from the freeway.  Beaming, I said, "That's right, that's the temple!  Good eye, Camden!"

Then Camden said, "I go to the temple and say hi to Jesus?"

Ah!  My heart!  I told him that someday he could go to the temple together, but "someday" never sits well with toddlers.  The rest of the trip he was asking to go now.  Seeing the big ol' Salt Lake Temple was something he was pretty excited about, but he was disappointed that we couldn't go inside.  As we walked around he started talking about Aunt Alexa, and I assumed he was remembering her wedding day.

Leah and I decided to take a quick tour of the Conference Center across the street, guided by the cutest little old man who wanted to show off the twins to all of his tour guide friends.  "Come here, look!" he would say, moving aside the blanket for the other white-haired guides to peek past.  They were basically celebrities.  Really cute celebrities.

We hit up a dinosaur play place, and ate lunch from a couple of food trucks.  There was chasing and laughing and snoozing babes, and all the while I found myself pining to live in a huge city again.

Once everyone napped, we spent most afternoons on the lawn in front of their place.  The toddlers proved that splash pads are just torture devices, so the little pool came out.

We got to meet up with Uncle Mason a few times.  {Again, pictures are gone forever!}  We got to go check out Mom and Dad's new house and use their pool.  On one of our last days Kirsten showed up, alive and well from her crazy Alaskan adventures.  

Camden called Leah, "Mommy" and me "Mama."  Could have been confusing for people…
Point is, Camden got to see so many people he loves.  If we hadn't missed Daddy so much it would have been really hard to leave.

Pssst… I have a secret.  I'm going to poop on Auntie Ell's pants today.  Hehehehe!

My favorite part of the trip was watching Danny Jay and Camden develop a friendship that is going to last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment