No Sick Days

I know, I've been chucking posts out there like live grenades, but I've had a lot to say and no time to say it before now.  Precious nap time is being spent on these bad boys.

I'm currently writing from my parent's house, sitting at their desktop in their laundry room, sipping cherry flavored Robitussin.  Yelk!  Hopefully this stuff will get rid of this cough I've had for a week now, otherwise I'm swallowing this poison for nothing.

Let me just tell you, the rumors are true.  Roy and I contracted N1H1.  Swine Flu.  Luckily Camden was vaccinated, and he avoided the entire illness.  The only thing he has suffered from is boredom, being trapped in the house for a week straight.  That's why we're at Grandma's house.  Change of scenery, but I don't get any harsh looks if I'm coughing my head off.

News Flash: There are no sick days for parents!  You can't just call in sick and rest all day.  There are sandwiches to make, owies to kiss better, stray cats to chase, and baths to take... even though we felt like death.  On the plus side, Roy and I seemed to be on opposite schedules.  I'd say, "I'm on a down," meaning my fever was rising.  And Roy would pull himself out of his blanket cocoon and take a shift until his fever started rising.  We had a good thing going.  {And Camden was watching a lot of movies.}


After a heinous night in NyQuil limbo with the worst night sweats of my life {puddles} Roy and I decided to blow up the air mattress and have it in the living room in front of the television.  This was our home base.  Not only did we try to rest there during the day while Camden played nearby, but we slept there at night.  We popped Harry Potter in the DVD player and had it on, just in case we couldn't sleep, or we woke up drenched in sweat.


Even though it seemed to be really bad luck that we fell ill at the same time, it was kind of nice to have someone suffering alongside me in the wee hours of the morning.  You know, both of us shuffling around in pajamas we've been wearing for days, sharing medicine, commiserating with each ache and pain.  We let the house get messy, and very little studying was done.  We let ourselves dismiss everything, the whole world, but each other.  At one in the morning, with the second Harry Potter movie playing, Roy said with a weak smile, "I think we've gotten closer in all this."

I laughed, and then coughed myself into a coma.  But it's true, we grew closer.  For how miserable we were, that's exactly how I'd choose to have the swine flu.  With my love.

But we're happy we're getting healthy now, and will probably get vaccinated every year for the rest of our lives- haha!  Here's to health!


Big thanks to my dad, who came out for a few hours on one of our worst days and took Camden to the park.  It was amazing to be able to catch up on some much-needed sleep.

3 comments:

  1. You should have called us!!! Had no idea you were sick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, we didn't want to get all of YOU guys sick! But thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete