A Real Christmas Tree

My parents get a real Christmas tree every year.  It fills the house with the fresh scent of pine, just like it should at Christmastime.  Traditional carols play softly through speakers in the kitchen, where everyone gathers to taste {or gorge on} the hundreds of different kinds of cookies, fudge, cakes.  The plates literally stack up on the countertops, saran wrap flung everywhere.  I'd say my parents have chosen their friends deliciously well.

Then, of course, there's Mom's ability to decorate the house like you're at the North Pole, complete with my childhood stocking hung from the mantle.  A few of us wrapped presents, perched in front of the blazing fireplace on a chilly Monday night.  And Grammy has fun ideas, like ginger bread house decorating… I mean, eating.


For obvious reasons, we decided to sleep at my parents house on Christmas Eve.  I just love this family.


Grandma and Grandpa Reay have come over for Christmas Eve dinner for as long as I can remember.  Love that tradition.  Even though the food was great, and the entertainment was adorable, I couldn't help but wish my sister was with us.  I knew right away it wasn't going to feel like Christmas without her.


After dinner we let Camden open two gifts: Christmas jammies and two Christmas stories.  Reading to him is getting really fun.


After I put him to bed we took some time to focus on the meaning of Christmas.  We read the story in Luke, and we discussed the life and birth of our Savior.  Then Mom gave us some beautiful wooden carvings made from olive wood in Bethlehem.  Ours is a nativity.  I love it.  And then it was off to watch Elf in our own Christmas jammies.  {I'm pretty sure we will be getting Christmas jammies for the rest of our lives}.

Camden awoke, ever prompt, at seven am.  We let him loose with his vocal talents to wake up the rest of the house.  When we went downstairs, he gently patted each new toy.  Then he sat back like, "Now what?"


Once we showed him that he could remove the gifts from under the tree, he was great.  He loved tearing off the wrapping paper, and then tearing that paper into confetti for us.  His favorite gift was definitely his push wagon.


Most of the day he wanted to be outside, walking and pushing.  The guys played basketball while Mom and I watched from the tailgate of her car.  Camden made sure to say "hi" and "bye" to everyone several times on his walking journey.


The gift-giving and breakfast-eating continued late into the morning.  In the afternoon we went for Mexican at Grandpa and Grandma Reay's ranch.  And then we Skyped with our missionary!!  It was awesome to see Alexa.  I may have teared up a little bit.  It must be so hard to be away from family during this Christmas season, but she is strong and knows she is doing important work, helping many people.  And that is what Christmas should really be about.

I'm so grateful for my family, and for my two boys.  I never knew my heart could love so much.  Merry Christmas to all!



1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh I love that wagon! I just ordered the same one for my nephew!

    ReplyDelete