¿Cómo estás?

As I was rocking Camden to sleep in the blackness of a walk-in closet in Mexico, I tried to come up with a name for what we were doing.  The term "vacation" seemed inappropriate.  If anything, I was working harder than I did at home-especially when trying to get him to sleep in this unfamiliar place.  I mean... we don't normally make our kid sleep in a closet.

But that's not to say the trip wasn't fun!  Even when Camden was terrified to be in the pool, there was still an element of adventure in it all.  I want to remember even these sad little expressions and how he clings to you for dear life when he's scared.  How he snuggles right into your neck with little "Save me!  Save me!" squeaks.  His devious plans like suddenly conking out so he can ditch the pool experience.  Clever boy. 





{New nap strategy: dip baby's feet in large public pool.  Results may be immediate.}

Camden liked being out on the town, soaking in all of the smiling faces.  Seriously, smiling faces everywhere.  Something I love about the Mexican culture is that everyone seems to love children.  And they aren't afraid to come right up to your little and pinch their cheeks.  I even had a random woman try to help me adjust the sling I had Bubs nestled in.  No warning, just started pulling at Camden's legs and re-arranging them so that he would be more comfortable.  Wow, hehe, okay gracias.

 {This is a classic excited expression.  He flails his arms and legs as fast as he can and gets this manic look in his eyes.  So glad I finally caught a picture of it.}



As a kid these Mexico trips were days of 14 straight hours under the blazing sun, riding quads, boogie boarding, swimming in the pool.  Someday Camden might find those things a little more appealing.  For now, he preferred exploring the fibers in the rug in the shelter of the condo, and that's okay.  My mom and dad were only too happy to swoop down and play with him when Roy and I wanted to hit up the jacuzzi downstairs or go for a sunset walk on the beach.


You know something I didn't expect?  How melty I get when I see my mom and dad in the role of grandparents.  Dad turns into a big fluffy marshmallow just at the sight of Camden, and Mom is always cooing and fussing over him.  I love how she sings him old songs I vaguely remember her singing to me.


{Look how much he loves her!}

But the nice thing about being grandparents: you get to benefit from the cuteness and still get a full night's sleep!  One night Roy and I were up several times, once for over an hour, while Camden was up.  Stinker.


However, even with Camden being stuck in his carseat for the four hour drives, and even with the hard naps in the closet, the trip was totally worth it.  Not a "vacation" per say... let's call it an adventure.



But isn't everything?


No comments:

Post a Comment