Stir CraZy!

It was crisp and sunny out.  A perfect Arizona winter day, and I could only view it through our blinds.  No, I decided to end my house arrest then and there.  I refused to keep holed up inside for yet another 24 hours!  I'd been too chicken to brave the outside world with my newborn more than a handful of times, but enough was enough!  Six weeks of almost nothing but the inside of a house does something to a person.  Makes 'em CrAzY!

I got dressed {a mini miracle}, bundled up Cam, put him in his carseat, snapped the carseat onto the stroller, and headed for the park.  We were actually outside!  Ah!  It was so refreshing.  So rejuvenating.  So-- oh crap!  Camden started crying when we were halfway to the park.  He didn't even bother to build up to it, he just filled up his lungs and belted it like a banshee!  I stopped and checked to be sure he wasn't hurt, stroked his face, adjusted his blanket, sang to him, tried to give him a binky... heck, I would have done a cartwheels if it would've made him happy!

While I tended to him I kept pushing the stroller with my hips, not wanting to stay in one place for too long since I was sure people inside their homes were saying to one another, "Do you hear that screeching?  What kind of horrible mother has her tiny baby outside in this cold weather?"  Then they'd surely peep out their windows to memorize my face so they could give a good description when they call child services.

Retreat!  Retreat!  I gave up trying to soothe, spun the stroller around and booked it back to our house.  Probably the fastest I've moved since I was two months pregnant.  I just didn't know what to do or how to help him out there.  It was new territory and I wasn't ready!

By the time I got to our driveway he was fine.  There were a few tiny shuttered breaths and then quiet.  I lifted the cover to see him snoozing away.


Oh.  All he needed was some sleep, and running like an idiot did the trick.  Wonderful!

But in all seriousness, going out will never be the same again.  Not only do I need to learn tricks to soothe him outside of our home {imagine me madly retreating from Home Depot}, but preparing to leave is like preparing for a road trip.  First there's the diaper bag, which is humongous and packed with extra clothes and diapers etc.  Then there's all of his gadgets to make sure he is safe wherever we are traveling.  It's a lot!

I'm learning, though.  Slowly but surely I'll get this down.  I've got to, because I can't stay cooped up in the safety of this house forever!





2 comments:

  1. Haha you will get out more! This was a great story and reminded me of many similar experiences of mine. It's like miraculous to even take 10 steps beyond your front door!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are super brave. I didn't attempt to leave the house alone with Noella until she was about 3 months old. I was terrified I'd forget something or shed start to freak and I wouldn't be able to settle her.

    ReplyDelete