Halloween Happened

Squeezing into some costume was not sounding the least bit appealing.  Getting covered in sticky pumpkin guts and having to scrub it off... no.  Busting out my giant plastic box of decorations?  Call me the Halloween Scrooge, but I was just not feeling it this year. 

That's how you know I'm getting a bit uncomfortable at the tail end of this here pregnancy.  There are few things in this universe that could stand between me and my holidays.  And this year we discovered that pregnancy comes pretty dang close... but we still found a way to make Halloween happen.

With Mom's help I still managed to get our house covered in cobwebs, orange and black banners, and candles that smell like pumpkin spice.  {Side note: scented candles are how we make seasons in Arizona.  With temperatures still in the upper 80s, and our prickly trees still green, "seasons" aren't gonna come on their own.  Smelly candles are the secret.}

Roy and I got to decorate our first ever front yard!  It was fun to do together, and I think we did a pretty good job with our styrofoam headstones.


In fact, on Halloween night there was a trick-or-treater across the street who pointed at our yard and said to his mom, "WOW!  Look at their house!  That's cool!"  Thank you, little boy, for making my day.


{I told Roy to "look scared."  Hence the face of terror.}

Roy and I also still managed to get some carving in.  We decided to do something a little different {and involving less guts} and got a butternut squash.


Looks just like his daddy.


 This year we carved with a foreigner who hasn't had a whole ton of experience with Halloween.  Jen is from Sweden, and this was literally her third pumpkin she's ever carved.  She and Kimball do good work.




Turned out cute, huh?  But warning to others who want to try butternut squash- they may have less guts, but they're harder to carve.  On the bright side, they smell exactly like watermelon.  Mmm!

And we still managed to get dressed up.  Just hours before a costume-required Halloween party, I sent out a plea on Facebook for costume ideas for a 9 month pregnant lady and her hubby.  My friend Cassy lent us these shirts, which are awesome.  Even Roo got to be a skeleton!  Then we bought some paint and Roy patiently allowed me to use his face as a canvas.  So fun!


Then we had our own little get together of cider and doughnuts.  I'm thinking this will have to become a new Halloween tradition.

The actual night of Halloween Roy and I stayed in, had orange and black sprinkled waffles, watched scary movies, and handed out candy.  Mostly Roy handed out candy.  He forced me to stay on the couch with my tree trunk ankles propped up on pillows. 

It was funny to watch Roy interact with the trick-or-treaters.  He'd kneel down for the really little ones and tell them how cute/scary/awesome they looked. 

Once I heard: "One for the princess, one for the spider, and one for the ballerina."
"I'm a kitty cat."
"Oh.  Sorry."


Hah! 

And then there are the families that come up from Mexico for the holiday.  Roy knelt in front of an adorable little pirate who held out his bag in front of him.

"What do you say?" Roy prompted.
The little boy just kind of jiggled his bag, looked at his sister who looked at their mom.  The woman rattled something off in Spanish and then the boy said something along the lines of, "Tricky trrreat!"

I think they and a lot of other smaller trick-or-treaters avoided our neighbor to our left, who really goes all out.  He blasted some creepy music, had a bloody head on a spike- you know, all the real scary stuff.  He even hid in the darkest corner of his porch to jump out and scare people.  It was pretty hilarious.  Our neighborhood was awesome, with tons of houses all decked out in orange lights or with big ghosts cascading from their trees or big blow-up spiders over their doorways, and kids in costume all up and down the sidewalks.

Although I kind of love chilling and handing out candy... or watching Roy hand out candy... I'm excited to be roaming the streets with our own little monster next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment