Worth the Weight


Pregnancy: the only time in a woman’s life that she can brag about her weight gain.


Our first doctor's visit I was told that the goal was for me to gain between 25 and 35 pounds by the end of this thing.  Call me an overachiever, because I’ve already gained 32 pounds and I still have nine weeks to go!  The doc said he wouldn’t be surprised if I end up more in the 40-45 range.

After I picked my jaw up off the floor I asked why… “Why meeeee?”
I got the “everyone is different” speech, followed by a very polite, “But if you find yourself eating straight out of the ice cream carton, cut back.”

Right.

Craving sugar has not been my problem.


 OK, maybe just a little bit.  Just little sugars, like M&Ms and Lindor truffles.  No spoons required!  So it's harmless, right?

But my biggest pregnancy craving?  Ice cubes.  Not just any ice cubes, either.  Ice cubes from Grandma and Grandpa’s freezer in Pinetop.  Unfortunately {or fortunately}, fresh mountain water is four hours away, so the ice from our freezer at home works fine.  The ice cubes at work are square and hard and I should be avoiding them... but I chew it without even realizing it!

Recently I read that craving ice is a sign of anemia.  And yes, I actually am anemic.  Check me out, supporting the old wives’ tales.  Although I’ve been told by the doc to double up on iron pills, I’m not always that great at remembering.  I figure I better start remembering before I crack all my teeth!

On a “feel intensely” note, being this big is awesome for feeling Roo move around.  I can almost maybe possibly distinguish different movements- whether it’s his head or his feet, whether he’s startled or just stretching.  He gets the hiccups every so often.  He doesn’t like the sound of the blender {and his daddy is really into blending breakfast smoothies these days, poor lil’ guy}.

Before now I couldn’t feel him when I was on my feet.  I assumed maybe the rocking motion put him to sleep.  Now that seems to be when he moves the most, like he thinks he's on some roller coaster ride or something.  Yes, sometimes it feels a little uncomfortable, but it’s so cool to be so close to him, and I feel like I’m getting to know him better and better each day.  It’s almost enough to choke me up!  I wish I could describe exactly how it feels, but words fail me.  There are none.

It helps me better picture the end result.  Speaking of which...

This cutie is Kenneth Cade McAffee, born yesterday afternoon.


This is the little thing that was squirming under my hands when I was obsessively rubbing Andrea's tummy in Lake Powell.  This same little guy!!!  It's hard to wrap my head around that.  He was just in there, and now he's arrived!

Roy and I would have given anything to be there.  In fact, Roy was almost there.  He flew up to Utah last weekend to visit his sisters and also with hopes that he'd be there for the birth of his best friend's son.  I was literally driving to the airport to pick him up after his trip when Kenny sent out the text that they were checking into the hospital.  Sooo close!!!

But we have been talking to the new parents a ton.  Andrea is such a good, brave mama!  Both she and Kenny are so in love with this kid.  Both have told us that the experience is just mind-blowing, and they're excited for us to know what they mean.

So the weight is worth it.  Now if only I can handle the wait!

Nine weeks to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment