The BUMP!

The bump has finally arrived!


And it has brought with it a few new challenges.  Like fitting through doorways.  Ha!

In all seriousness, what I didn't expect from having a bump were all the smiles.  Now that it's totally obvious that I'm expecting, I can't go anywhere in public without people smiling at me.  I think most of them are "oh how sweet" kind of smiles.  But every so often I think I catch a "oh she has no idea what she's in for" kind of smile.  :-)

The bump is also a conversation magnet.  Every single person who comes within a twenty foot radius of me feels compelled to strike up a conversation.  Conversation with no filters, I might add.

Some are sweet.  Enter elderly man:

"Six months along?"

"Yes, actually, six and a half."

"Congratulations.  That makes you the most beautiful woman in the building.  Pregnant women have a really special beauty about them."

Some are really not so sweet.  Enter bank lady:

"Any day now, huh?"

"Well, no... I still have almost three months."

"You poor thing."

"Uhh..."

But I kind of like the recognition, the nods, the happiness that growing life brings to random strangers.  It makes me feel empowered, like I'm doing something truly awesome.  Even the slightly weird conversations confirm that fact.


And I really do think that growing a little person is probably the awesomest thing I've ever done.  Sure, I don't sleep much anymore, and I find myself short of breath just walking from the couch to the refrigerator, but feeling this little ninja kick and bounce inside me is something I'll never forget.  Currently, it's impossible to forget.

I was reading up on pregnancy {like a good mama-to-be} when I read that I should be counting kicks.  It stated that a mama should feel ten kicks, or movements, an hour.  It continued by saying, "If you do not feel at least ten kicks in two hours, contact your doctor immediately."

Whoa!  All of a sudden I got a little panicky feeling in the pit of my stomach.  Did he kick that much?  Was it enough?  I couldn't be sure, so I got a sticky note, wrote the hour, and held my pen at the ready.  Barely a second passed before I got karate chopped in the ribs.  I gleefully scratched a tally onto my sticky note. 

Less than four minutes later, I had ten beautiful tally marks.  I laughed at myself for worrying about his movement.  It may be true that I don't have another pregnancy to compare this one to, but I'm pretty sure this kid is WIGGLY.  Movement is his forte.


It makes me wonder whether this is any indication of what he'll be like outside of the womb.  Do we have a hyper-active, soccer playing ball of energy?  Maybe a spirited gymnast?  A drummer?  AH- I'm trying not to be impatient, but I'm so excited for him to show us who he is.

Roy, if you were wondering, is completely chill about the whole thing.  Just like he was with our wedding, just like he is with everything that gives me the jitters.  Good thing I have him as an anchor in this wild and crazy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment