Vegas, baby!

So we're not the best gamblers...


But regardless of loosing a few bucks, we had ourselves a fun weekend in Sin City.  People kept warning us like broken records, "Now don't get into too much trouble in the notorious Vegas."  But, um... how much trouble can a pregnant lady get into?  I could barely make it down the strip in the 105 degree blazing sunshine, much less get into trouble.


Mostly we walked around and checked out the hotels, the street performers, and the shops.  I tried to hold my breath whenever we walked through a cloud of cigarette smoke {which, believe me, was often enough to make me wonder when I'd pass out from lack of oxygen} so hopefully Roo hasn't developed asthma or something.  :-(

We picked up Zac from the airport and he and Roy when to a Foster the People concert at the Cosmopolitan Saturday night.  Me and Roo?  We stayed behind at the hotel- the New York New York.  I thought I was going to be all amazing at get a billion things done {I brought my laptop and binders full of writing materials} but, alas, I can't seem to stay up past 9pm these days.  Growing a baby takes a toll, I guess.




Paris!


New York!

 
On the drive we stopped at the Hoover Dam.


Roy wouldn't keep off the dam wall!



 There's not much else to tell about the trip.  Unless you'd like to hear about the other hotel we stayed in.  Motel, actually, I believe is the correct term.  Or, dump?  Yes, dump, that's the word.

On our way up to Vegas we stopped in Kingman for the night.  It was 11pm, we were tired, and every hotel in the town was booked.  Why?  Duh, 4th of July weekend.  Hadn't even thought about that!

So, desperate, we pull into one of those sketchy, dark buildings with the flickering "M" in "Motel."  We hesitated, but a whole slew of vehicles pulled in behind us, and we needed a place to sleep.  So Roy rushed in and got us a key for so cheap it was almost free.

And for good reason.

I have NEVER seen sheets like the ones stretched over this bunchy mattress.  When I lifted the stained sheets could see through them.  Literally there were places where only a few threads held it together.  Smoke came out of the air conditioner and the shower was leaky, but hey- it was a roof over our heads.

Luckily we had our own pillows.  We peeled back the comforter and top sheet and left them tangled at the foot of the bed.  Right when we finally got the courage to perch ourselves on the bed, a train blew past our window.  We looked at each other and laughed.

Just like old times!

Every time that train woke me up that night I smiled as I fell back asleep.  But one time, at probably 3:30, Roy was W I D E awake, and I could tell he was suffering.

"Are you okay?" I mumbled.

"The smoke is burning my eyes.  I can't sleep."

"Want to just get up and drive the rest of the way?"

"Yeah.  Yeah, I really do.  You want to?"

"I do if you do."

And then I think he started talking about what we could possibly do in Vegas at 5am when check-in at New York New York wasn't until 2pm, but... I fell asleep again.  Oops!

If there's one good thing about being exhausted-pregnant, it's being able to sleep in the worst conditions ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment